sabato 30 maggio 2015

Saturday bliss!

I am not very good at baking because I am a messy cook. I just can't deal with all the maths and the exact measurements :) but today I wanted to challenge myself with a chocolate cake with homemade strawberry jam filling. Discovery of the day (one I should have thought about myself. Thanks, mum): you can make icing sugar by yourself simply by blending normal sugar. My mum is running a campaign against vanilla-flavoured products these days so I opted for plain sugar. Apparently some of the vanilla used in cakes is even toxic (need to double check the source, but I am sticking to vanilla sticks for the time being and grinding them because mum's always right ;).





The loveliest and probably greenest part of our garden at the moment: our herb garden. Today I had a go at smelling herbs and guessing their names, just like when I was a wee girl.




If you ask me, the best one is definitely pepper mint (together with 2/3 of Prosecco wine, 1/3 of home made elderberry syrup - plus sparkling water and ice cubes, if you wish :)

Yes, I've planned some serious fat-burning/detox activities for tomorrow.

2 commenti:

  1. wonderful! the cake and the garden, can almost smell the spices! :)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Now it's started to smell like summer all around (linden trees, jasmines, elderberry flowers... :)

      Elimina