giovedì 31 gennaio 2013

Caledonia

"You are the most patriotic person I've ever met...just not about your own country!" a friend said to me some time ago. I guess it's true. I have never felt very patriotic about Italy. Although I appreciate the good things the bel paese has to offer - and there are many, starting with gelato - I also see it from an outsider's perspective - because I am not Italian and because I lived abroad for quite a while. It has always been a bit easier for me to idealise Slovenia, the "promised land" that has been "taken away from us". But in this case too, I follow the news a bit too much to be able to idealise things. With Scotland it is different. The moment I fly over those green fields covered with white dots (yes, I tend to get overexcited about sheep - try to understand, we don't see as many of them here!), I forget about the SNP, the rain, health and safety rules & fire alarms in the middle of the night and the X25 bus that always stops in the middle of nowhere (well, to be honest I sometimes still get nightmares about being left all alone in the fields). All I remember are the friendly people, the good food, the sunny days, bagpipe music and all the amazing spots around Edinburgh and, last but not least the sexy Scottish accent ;)




I know what your counter arguments are going to be: 

- Scottish people are not friendly. I know not all Scottish people are friendly, but come to Trieste for a couple of days and you'll see what rude people are really like! They never hold the door for you, they stare at people in wheelchairs as if we where U.F.O.s and they never apologize when they accidentally push you. 

- What do you mean, "good food"? Yes, if you have friends who are really good and creative chefs. And the friend Mars bar is not actually that bad if you only have a tiny bit. 

- There are on average 4 sunny days per year in bonnie Scotland, but when the sun does come out the excitement is so big that everyone is out having a picnic. 

- Bagpipes are annoying. They really are. But my brain works with associations so I've learned to like them (bagpipes = guys in kilts ;). 

- Nothing to say about Edinburgh. If we exclude the roadworks in the city centre and that have been going on for far too long (will we ever get to see the tramway?) it is an amazing town.


                  
            I always get as far as "and I should become a stranger..." and then I break into tears. 
           Drama  queen.


This time last year I was on holiday in Edinburgh, having a great time. This year it will take a bit longer before I manage to visit. The good thing is I know I'll always be at home in Scotland because, as my mum says: "Home is where your toothbrush is." and I know for a fact that there's a toothbrush waiting for me in toon so that when Caledonia calls I can say: "Och aye, I am coming!" Start getting ready, pals! :)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento