mercoledì 30 gennaio 2013

PoP all the way!

I meant to write something more entertaining/inspiring/life changing, but I have a terrible cold and I just got back from work (never trust your colleague aka boss when they say they'll give you a lift home - you'll never leave the office!). This entry is more of a "note to self" kind of thing. 

- In the end, the catastrophe I thought I was responsible for yesterday wasn't a real catastrophe because the external hard drive I dropped on the floor and which I thought I broke is not broken! It just doesn't work very well but it hasn't died completely. 

Conclusion no. 1: NEVER spend a whole afternoon commiserating yourself for something you might have done wrong. Often things are not as bad as the seem.  I owe an apology to an amazing lassie for cheering me up and always being there for me. 

Conclusion no. 2: I am really lucky to have some amazing people around! Thank you! I'll try to be more positive, I promise!




- I spend the whole day taking notes at a commercial meeting ("Your notes are just amazing! It's incredible how fast you write. Can I ask you to take the minutes of the meeting?", I was told 5 minutes before the start of the meeting. Of course I had no notepads with me, of course I was completely unprepared and of course I was half as smart as everyone else). I took notes for 8h and god knows if I'll be able to decipher them tomorrow...Something to worry about tomorrow, not today. 

Conclusion no. 3: People do not realise what note taking (or interpreting, for that matter) involves. Intepreters get frustrated and angry and yet we often can't do much about it because (unfortunately) real life is in now way close to  AIIC guidlines.

Conclusion no. 4: Although one should never judge people by the way they look, in real life this happens all the time and people you were usually friendly with, suddenly look down on you. Reminder: always make an effort to look decent, if not smart. 

I have the feeling there will be more opportunities for me to feel inadequate/ stupid/ inexperienced but until that happens, I can definitely say...

Conclusion no. 5: the Power of Positivity rocks!







Nessun commento:

Posta un commento