mercoledì 29 gennaio 2014

Karma, peanuts, puzzles (and toilets)

Translation sent. I look at the time. 11 pm. I've worked for 12 hours without a break (I've decided that lunch, a quick dinner, some loo breaks, a phone call and 10 minutes exercise don't count as breaks. They are just interruptions).

It feels good.
I have the feeling I have changed all of a sudden. You'll say: "No wonder, you've quit your job, you are working from home, you can work as much or as little as you want (it's always the first option, I'm afraid!). You are right. But I am not talking about this kind of change. I am talking about something deeper. 

I feel like all of a sudden I am no longer a child (hard to believe, I know!). Two of my friends lost their dads in the past weeks. Just like this. Paf! and they were gone. Don't ask me why, but I was really shocked. I was reminded once again that life is short (and that therefore we should eat dessert first :). Everything can change in a split second. We all know this, we always have. But at one point in life it hits you so hard that you know you must do something. I have decided to start from the little things: telling people I love them whenever I feel like it, stop expecting them to love me back with the same enthusiasm, ignoring the people who try to hurt me, having more of a routine (and keeping my flat perfectly tidy - for my parents' sake more than anything else), never say "I can't", "it's impossible" "I am not able to do this". And only working if I like what I am doing (I am aware that this is a bit of a utopia but it has worked so far! :).




It feels good.
Because I wasn't even looking for jobs. They just came, which means no waste of time going through websites, sending CVs, calling people, begging... The best part of it is that my main client actually pays almost straight away. A reliable and understanding client (well, most of the time) that lets you set your own deadlines (if the job is not urgent, of course The "Ineeditinanhourorwecannotprinttheleafletsdoitnow" type of job) and trusts you...and YET...

They've had no problems with my rates when all they needed were short translations (3-4 pages), they were happy with my work and willing to pay me. Now I've been asked to do a 13 pages-long translation into French and Spanish. I have decided to have the same rate for all my language combinations. Partly because I can't be bothered doing the maths every time and partly because it's pushing me to improve my languages and work faster into any combination. The client of course knew what my rate was, but... 3 pages are three pages, my dear. When you add up for 13 pages...well, it's a totally different story!

Is it really??? Are you telling me that you'd let the plumber only fix your shower head (and leave the clogged-up toilet and sink alone) because you don't want to spend money on that?!? You wouldn't really, because, excuse my French, but at the end of the day we all need to pee and poo, right?

Translations, on the other hand, are not a need. They are optional. If I don't do it, they'll ask a colleague, a friend, a neighbour, an Erasmus student, their granny who went on holiday to France in 1949. Unlike with a clogged-up toilet, they will manage.
I'll wait and see. Meanwhile my rates will stay the same.#nopeanuts


And, yes, it feels good.
I might be an adult now, but I have recently re-developed a passion for puzzles. Why? It's simple: if I am trying to decide whether a particular nuance of white should end up on a polar bear's belly or on a seal's tail, makes me stop thinking about important things for a wee bit. At the same time, I realise how lucky I am: 
- I have enough puzzles to keep me busy for the next 10 years
- I have time to waste (or rather I make time)
- something trivial and childish makes me really happy  



*Reminder to self: post more regularly so you won't bore people with your verbal diarrhoea  (excuse me, I can't help sticking to the toilet theme). Those of you who made it to the end get a full load of hugs. :)

1 commento:

  1. Cheers to … well, everything! :) Not easy sticking to your rates, but it's the only possible way and in the long run in really pays off (maybe less clients, but at least they value your job). And most importantly YOU should value your job (not to mention time, knowledge etc). Hugs to you too! :)

    RispondiElimina