domenica 5 maggio 2013

Think less, run more...and focus!

Today I ran my first 7k. And I am alive! 

It all happened so randomly. My parents were going to walk 7k anyway, since my dad is addicted to running but cannot run for medical reasons. My mum is someone who's never run properly but she's really fit and active. So two days ago we were talking about the race, a big one for our standards since it involves about 12,000 people, and my crazy parents just went:"Well, why don't you come with us? It would be fun, don't you think?"

I usually never say no to new experiences and I've recently discovered the beauty and the benefits of going for a run after work, so I knew I was quite fit and I could do at least part of the 7k by myself. My major worry was the technical part, i.e. not having a proper wheelchair - one of those which look more like a bike and go really fast. A vehicle like that makes your life so much easier when it comes to running. Running in my usual wheelchair, on the other hand, is not easy at all. You really need to push hard and you often have to bend forward a lot to keep going. Nevertheless, I knew I could count on my parents and some friends...and I just went for it.

12,000 people starting off in the same place = a total mess! Especially if we are talking about unruly Italians. Elbows in people's stomachs, people shouting, people tripping over...All that was part of this morning's excitement. And then it all started: a green wave moving (more or less) quickly towards the same goal. I have always disliked the fact that Italian people always want to look different, be smarter or hotter than others. Today everyone was wearing the same ugly T-shirt, yet everyone looked so happy. I guess the vast majority of today's runners will feel the consequences of their act of bravery tomorrow (I already do!), but I don't think they care.




Another nice thing was talking to random people along the way (or at least trying to say a few words of mutual encouragement while catching breath) and feeling that we all belong to the same wee spot in the universe. Not only that. After a lot of thinking about my future and worrying a lot (way too much, actually!) about what other people think about me, I came to the conclusion that focussing on other people is sometimes nice, other times necessary but often extremely unproductive. I am someone who gets overly excited about people and I like spending lots of time with friends, but I am often so busy trying to make other people happy that I forget about myself.

Today I feel every single muscle in my body so I know for a fact that I am alive and happy. I also know I have amazing parents who have always been there to "give me a push" when I needed it the most. I know there are people who are going to stay in my life forever, although they are miles away and others who may (modality = doubt :) not be there in the future, although we live in the same town. Banal as it may sound, the best thing one can do is live for the moment and cherish every piece of cake, every funny joke and every hug s/he gets today because it might all be gone by tomorrow (especially the cake!).

I feel quite wise after having run 7k...Should I consider running 10, 15, 21k to see if I can finally grow up? :) (I am seriously thinking about getting myself a handbike and start running properly! It's sooo addictive!). From now on, my motto is going to be: Think less, run more and focus, for f**** sake (the last point refers to my dissertation, in case you were wondering!).





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento