lunedì 4 maggio 2015

Glocalisation

It's that time of the year when my parents serve me lettuce and other green veg and go:

"I'm not sure I'd eat it, though. It's a bit old. I've pick it from the garden a whole five minutes ago."

It's become a silly in-joke. Every time we eat veg we my parents grew in our garden we need to analyse its taste and texture, decide wether it is good, compare it to the one you buy at the supermarket and conclude that it's a fine thing to get food from your very personal grocery two minutes away from the kitchen. It's the same for the yoghurt, the pasta, the bread and the biscuits we make (yes, me too :) And, of course, for the olive oil we use. We haven't started producing oil (yet), we buy it from Croatian friends, but every time we get a new batch we have a tasting session with at least five different samples which we mark according to strict criteria, compare our marks, discuss about it and decide which oil we are going to use.

In our family you just have to follow the donoteatanythingbuthealthystuff philosophy. My dad really annoys me when I decide to treat myself to a chocolate snack of some sort (being perfectly aware that it's not the best thing to do) and he sits next to me and reads out all the ingredients that are so bad for me. Of course he wants me to eat less of the unhealthy stuff so that he can have some of it too. 

My latest addition to the list of yummy wholesome (?) food are fried sage leaves. I don't particularly like the taste of sage so I wasn't very keen to try it, but when I did I instantly changed my mind. It was just like eating sage-flavoured crackers. Yummy!

This evening I also tried something new. I was having a bowl of lettuce from our garden for dinner and found a flower among the green leaves.

I thought: "Aw, cute. It must have ended up here by mistake." So I called my parents to tell them about it: 

"Dad, I found a flower in my salad. It's actually really cute, but maybe tell mum to be a bit more careful when she picks lettuce from our garden."

"Huh, your mum must have done it on purpose because I had a flower in my salad at lunchtime too."

Yes, my parents can sometimes be a wee bit over the top with this whole healthyisyummy thing...But hey, sometimes they are really sweet!

In case you were wondering...My poor Chinese rose died of a painful death. Killed by too much love water (my fault) and lice (not my fault). 


4 commenti:

  1. This was not the post to read after just finishing a bag of Cadbury's chocolate buttons.
    The guilt! The shame!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Shame! Shame! Shame! But oh, Cadbury's chocolate buttons are amazing. Have you ever tried those filled with caramel?

      Elimina
  2. Haha, should not introduce all of you to my hubby (he is into tasting and grading and whatnot, while I usually just want to eat, well, but eat!) :) Btw: a lot of spring flowers are edible, so just next time just enjoy! ;)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. That's what my mum said, I should have eaten it. Next time :) I'd also love to just eat and enjoy, but if I'm with my parents there's no way. They even complained that in Lux I got used to bad oil, therefore I am no longer a good taster and I need to retrain myself :) :) :)

      Elimina