martedì 22 gennaio 2013

Of wee favours an cakes...

When someone asks you "(...) just a wee favour...I have translated the text myself, you just need to go through it, it'll take you 20 minutes" or "It's just a page, no technical terminology...Can you do it for me. It won't take you long - you are soooo good" you know straight away they are lying. 

Let's face it: favours are never wee ones and they are never easy to do. They require time, effort and a great deal of self-persuasion  (i.e. managing to silence that little voice in your ear telling you you'd much rather read a book or watch a film than translate marketing plans and reports. Sometimes I don't mind, especially if translations have something to do with stuff that interests me. Recently I've been reading up a lot on the Israeli - Palestinian conflict and translating about it too. For free (it was for an NGO). What does bother me is that people expect you to do it for free, quickly and whenever they want it. If I am going to do it for free then at least let me do it whenever I feel inspired! Plus it's not like people doing other jobs will do them for free. Try asking a plumber to come fix your tap for free...It will never happen. 

Some days ago I had an experience which proved this. I heard that one of my neighbours (yes, there are about 25 of them) is very good at making cakes and she makes amazing decorations. Since I am having a birthday party soon, I thought: why not asking her to do it. It will definitely be nicer and easier than having to go to a bakery to order it. It turns out she charges 40 euros (!!!) per kilogram and she only makes cakes which are heavier than 3kg. I have to say the cakes are really amazing, very colourful and really very artistic. She can basically make cakes of any shape: from cars to dogs, flowers etc. Tempting at first. The thing is: even if I was ready to spend 120€ for a cake (no flipping way!) would the cake really be good? I (almost) never judge things by appearance (student life teaches you the most disgusting-looking food can taste absolutely amazing), so when she asked me what decorations and shape I wanted, I really didn't know what to say. What cake would I have? One shaped like a booth/a microphone/a rugby ball/a coffee tin? Please! All I want is a good  cake. So I asked her if she could make something simple (but chocolatey and gooey). The answer? "I only make sophisticated cakes and no, I can't make it for any less than 40€. Take it or leave it." Of course I left it. I am not old enough to go bankrupt. But the real question is: would I be ready to say to the people constantly asking me favours (often friends or at least acquaintances): "Sorry guys, I charge X€ per word. Take it or leave it." (Un)fortunately I don't think I would. 

All I know is that no cake in the world will ever beat M.'s 25 home-made cream cakes. 




                    The numbers are a bit smudged because of the wet weather, but aren't they amazing?!   


1 commento:

  1. OMG, 120 EUR for a cake?! Good for her - and you should definitely learn from her, maybe convince her to give you a seminar - or maybe not, if she'd charge 40 EUR for 15 minutes... ;)

    (ps: I believe Im already on the right path, maybe it comes with age and numerous "favours of the kind";)).

    RispondiElimina